MASTER OF ARTS, JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY
August 2018-May 2020
Area of study: Public History
Thesis: Exploring Rockingham’s Past (digital project, linked here)
Advisor: Dr. Evan Friss
Pursuing an M.A. in Public History provided an opportunity to develop cultural humility through intensive historical analysis, while also providing experience and study in the field of archival theory and practice. I would argue this is the beauty and strength of coming to archival education through public history. Understanding the process behind archiving and the foundation on which it stands is vital, however, understanding the historical context in which those records were created, and developing a cultural sensitivity to the many communities represented in those records, is just as important.
BACHELOR OF ARTS, UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE
August 2013-December 2016
Area of Study: History
Graduated Summa Cum Laude
DIGITAL COLLECTIONS COORDINATOR, UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH
ARCHIVES AND SPECIAL COLLECTIONS, PITTSBURGH, PA
MASTERS THESIS EXPLORING ROCKINGHAM’S PAST (ERP), JAMES MADISON
UNIVERSITY, HARRISONBURG, VA
AUGUST 2018-MAY 2020
DIRECTOR OF ARCHIVAL MANAGEMENT, ROCKINGHAM COUNTY CIRCUIT
COURT, HARRISONBURG, VA
MAY 2019-MAY 2020
Publications and Presentations
- Paper presentation, “Exploring Rockingham County’s Past: Recapturing Local History and Promoting Accessibility,” Society of Georgia Archivist, Augusta, GA, October 2019.
- Poster presentation, “Exploring Rockingham’s Past: Promoting Accessibility in Our Community,” James Madison University Library Showcase, Harrisonburg, VA, August 2019.
- “Connecting Archival Description with Digital Content,” The Handbook of Archival Practice, ed. by Dr. Patricia C Franks. Rowan & Littlefield. 2020.
- The Messy, Inchoate Reality of History: Poverty in Antebellum Rockingham County, Master’s Thesis, May 2020.
- “Confronting Legacies of The Lost Cause: The Unacknowledged Reach of Ahistorical Perceptions,” Medium.com, November 2019.
- “Exploring Rockingham County’s Past: Recapturing Local History and Promoting Accessibility” in the Journal of Contemporary Archival Studies, 2019.
- “Perspectives on Islam and the Body” in SIWÔ’ (online publication of the Ecumenical School of Religious Studies) 2017.